Tuesday, February 9, 2010

our burgeoning environmentalism: the wind turbine

A field of wind turbines in Vega, Texas.

Wildorado Wind Farm, Vega, TX



I'm not a fanatical environmentalist. I don't care if you wear fur and drive an SUV. It's your business. I'll admit to something else that will guaran-damn-tee to label me loony. I don't believe in global warming.  GASP!   I don't think there is any verifiable scientific method to prove man-made activity is causing global warming or that global warming even exists. I think there have been cycles of warming and cooling during the existence of our 4.5 billion year-old earth (long before homo-sapiens drove cars on the face of it) and those cycles continue to this very day.

I do believe in a Creator of this universe. I believe we should each do our part (especially as technology progresses) to preserve the beauty and sustainability of our planet for future generations. I want to be a good steward of the gifts God has bestowed. Therefore, I thought some of our efforts (me and the Texan's) might interest you.
Here are some positive environmental steps we have taken:

1.  Installing many, many...beaucoup... compact florescent bulbs in our home.  The Texan was obsessed over these bulbs!  I didn't like them.  I thought they added more mercury to the environment.  I thought they gave off dim light and took a long time to warm up.  The Texan is methodical and persistent.  He kept after me....the technology has improved and he keeps adding them to replace the old incandescent bulbs.  I play along for the most part.
2. Adding extra insulation to the attic.
3. Having an energy company evaluate areas of heat loss in our home. We have shored up our doors with heavy-duty weather stripping.  It keeps the cold north wind from blowing through our house.
4. Replacing most of the single-paned windows in our 1960's era home with low E double-paned windows. We have done this over time and it has not come cheaply. This summer, we replaced all of the windows in our sun room.


5. Installing our very own.....ta-dah!....wind turbine. The Texan started to see some of these cropping up in our area. He made inquiries and before I knew it, the tower was going up!  Here is the technician working on the blades.  Looks like a tight squeeze....be careful!


This is what the turbine looked like being pulled up.



Proudly standing guard behind our home.



Did you know we live in the 3rd windiest city in the United States? Home wind turbine = good call?!



We have enjoyed the mesmerizing 'hum...hum' and we pat ourselves on the back for joining the energy-saving brigade. The turbine itself was expensive and it generates (on average) a savings of about $30./month on our electric bill. It will pay for itself in 30+ years! Whatevs.....we think the thing is cool.

What are you doing around your home to lessen energy consumption/costs?

1 comment:

T.J. said...

He he, my Dad says the same thing about global warming and tells me that if I stick around a bit longer I will notice it is cyclical too. It was so interesting to read your post today- they are looking at installing a fleet of turbines a few towns up from us, but the town is heatedly opposed. They say it is because it will be creating more energy for New York than Vermont, but I feel that they would still be complaining even if that weren't the case. Anyway, 30 years huh? Not too bad! We don't have much wind around my home, but I'd love to harness solar energy some day. Thanks for a great post!