Monday, June 11, 2012

hound of heaven

The phrase hound of heaven is not original with me. The Hound of Heaven is a poem written by Francis Thompson. It refers to God as being a hound in the sense He is resolutely seeking a relationship with us...you and me.
He wants you. He REALLY wants you!
The events of this weekend sprung this doggy imagery to mind. If you've ever owned any type of hound dog, this imagery resonates with you. The hound's heightened sense of smell and his resolve and talent in persuing prey is unparalleled.

The hound sniffed out my grandmother, Lucy. I keep this certificate of her baptism on my desk. It reminds me of her reliance on faith during the darkest days of World War II when her son, my dad, was serving in the Pacific. The date reads February of 1945. The war was over within the year and my dad was discharged from the Army. He came back in body, at least; not so much in spirit. Lucy was a rock during my chaotic childhood years.
Maybe just an old piece of paper, but precious to me.

When I was 11 in Del City, Oklahoma, someone knocked on our door from the local Southern Baptist Church. Those were the days when you let people in, and that's just what I did. This lovely lady told me of the One who was seeking me. Someone was seeking me?...really?! Went to the local church and got baptized. No sprinkling for me....the preacher submerged me and I came up a new person. The hound has continued tracking me, even during days when I wandered far from the safety of his doghouse.

The Texan and I baptized all of our Sprouts when they were infants. The children were a gift to us, and we wanted to be sure we gave them back to the One who entrusted them to us. That determined hound has kept their scent and they are finding their own ways.
Sprout #3's baptism day. He's getting married in September!


The hounding never stops and guess who is seeking the grandbaby?
Baby G with his dad
Our family gathered at a local church to witness G's baptism. The minister claimed G 'packed the pews'!
Darn teeth! When are they going to come in? He chomped his fingers the entire time.


G isn't aware of the hound of heaven yet, but he'll figure it out someday. We'll be sure to tell him of this day and of the One who is doggedly seeking him.
The minister walked G the entire length of the middle aisle to let everyone get a good look at him. The congregants promised to help him grow in faith and to surround him with love.





What a weekend! Sprout #3 was here with his bride-to-be, Jenn. When we weren't baptizing, we were talking of and planning for their big day. Rest assured the hound has his nose on them, as well.

I feel blessed. Hope you feel that way too, because of the One who will not let you go....nor rest from His seeking of you. How are you being sniffed out?

Hound-y love to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed very much...beijos

T.J. said...

The only event next to a wedding that I am more emotional at is... a baptism!!!! Baby G is looking so very charming- I love that he was walked down the aisle for everyone.