Friday, March 2, 2012

pie happiness

Wind has been been blowin' in West Texas. On days when the wind is whistlin' out here on the High Plains, it's nice to have an indoor activity prepared. My activity yesterday was making lemon meringue pies for a special in-law birthday. #6-0!!
Consulted the old Betty Crocker cookbook. Do you have one of these relics? This is circa 1975-before feminism.
Wanna see my pie? Of course you do!
Used a Pioneer Woman pie crust recipe, but I adjusted the fat ratio to 2 to 1 butter to crisco. This recipe had a little bit of vinegar in it. The food processor is the only way to go in mixing pie crusts, but pie crust is always a messy proposition for me. You should've seen the flour and the parchment paper flying around the kitchen.
Hot heaven in a pan.
The filling. This is where I consulted Betty Crocker. Lots of egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and freshly-squeezed lemons. I might have licked this pan clean with a spatula...by myself since the Texan was at work. Sorry, Texan.
Beating, beating, and beating egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.
Ta-dah! The paaahs. Aren't they gorgeous? See why I was excited to show them to you? The in-law was very happy to have these for his birthday....oh, and the taste! The taste was lemony sweetness surrounded by a flaky crust and topped with a heavenly (not too sweet) meringue. The textures were sublime and the flavor sensations amazing, even if I do say so myself! ***patting myself proudly on the back*** Fun times with the in-laws.

In case you were wondering about my security...making pies out in the rural-ness of West Texas and all, you needn't have feared.
Can you spot the guard dog on her couch perch?

Roxy Doxy was looking out the bedroom window keeping constant vigil making certain our house is protected and I can make pies in blessed peace.
She keeps her squeaky squirrel nearby in case she gets bored.

See? I'm very well-guarded.


Do I smell pie?
A sleepy Roxy Doxy:
What does Lin-sanity mean?

An exasperated me:
Knock off watching Sports Center, will you? Come help me clean the kitchen...I might have a sticky pan you can lick!

Lemony love to all.

No comments: